Thursday, November 17, 2011

Rock the Boat

So something interesting happened to me these past couple weeks.  I grabbed BYU's newspaper on the way home last Thursday and read the opinion section.  There was one that got me thinking, and parts I disagreed with.  Well, I looked up the article it was responding to and definitely felt Provo was being one sided.

You can read them here and here.

I decided to write back to the paper and offer my own opinion.  I figured it's my senior year and I'd yet to cause a ruckus at BYU.  I wanted to say I had at least tried to make a stand at least once.  Well, walking to school that next Tuesday I grabbed a paper on the way to class and the first article in the opinion section was mine.  I was a little surprised but excited it got published.

You can read my article here (WARNING:  This article might contain some blasphemy and offers an opinion you could totally disagree with)

Today is Thursday, so I opened up the paper today and found 3 of the 5 articles responding to mine.  I'm sure there were countless other articles upset at what I wrote that didn't get published.  Interestingly enough, I heartily agree with most of the responding articles.

But this whole experience got me thinking.  I'm not as one sided as I made out to be in my article, but I don't think people and situations should be so quickly classified as black and white.  We want to have a simple clean answer for problems and questions in life, but I think that's just not the case.  I know a lot of what I said doesn't seem to align with conventional Christian thinking, but in my own experience I fail to see a home that raises children with love and teaches them about fidelity, honesty, and respect could be detrimental.  I hope as I continue through life I will continue to work through these issues and find more ways to consider them.

If you disagree with me, I'm glad.  That's the beauty of life, we all have unique experiences and opinions. I hope nobody agrees with me simply because I made an argument, but rather creates their own opinion based on what they feel is right.  Thanks for reading :)

4 comments:

kaylynnczy said...

I agree 100%. People are free to make their own decisions, and if we don't agree with those decisions...oh well! We were sent here to use our agency; how we live and how we react to situations are all part of this earthly plan and using our agency.

PS, Katie, I heart you. The end!

Mandy said...

I can't believe that first article! He said that he would rather pay extra taxes so they could be raised in an orphanage? That is upsetting.

I have a close family member who is a homosexual and while I don't support gay marriage, nor do I want my children to be taught that in public schools (Prop 8) I am on your side for sure. Good for you for taking a stand.

Anonymous said...

I agree Mands...what that first article said about paying more taxes blows my mind. That's ridiculous.

Katie, I'm glad you wrote in before you graduate. :)

Unknown said...

Katie! I usually don't read through the opinion section but happened to read yours. I got heated about a couple things you said and then I read your name and was like, Oh my goodness! I think it's so great you wrote in. It's true though-I'm in a persuasive writing class and I think it is so great that people can have different opinions but no one has to be right. Good job!