Wednesday, May 2, 2012

post graduation - yes it does exist

Well, where to start?  I've only posted once in the past 5-6 months and don't have the best track record with this blog thing.  But better late than never, right?

This past semester did sorta whiz by.  Which is strange, cause at times I thought graduation would never get here.  But then with only a few days of class left I started feeling all nostalgic and couldn't believe my time at BYU was almost at an end.

I've been up on campus since graduation (shocker, I know) cause my mom is taking a class and it's fun to see her and get lunch.  But when I go to see mom I'm reminded of last spring and all the crazy emotions I felt when I was studying for the MCAT.  There was so much promise and excitement as I got ready to take on medical school applications and conquer the world.

And then I applied, and then I got rejected (a lot) and now I'm waiting.  Just like I waited for my MCAT score, interviews, and acceptances, which didn't come.  Not gonna lie, I think I might've been a little naive about the whole process, but it's hard to think after so much work and sacrifice rejection would be the norm.

But I shouldn't complain.  I'm actually on a wait list for UCF, an amazing school in Orlando, Florida.  I've been told I'm high enough on the list that - if this year is anything like past years - I'll be offered an acceptance sometime in June.  I think it's just the waiting that I'm over.

Either way, Jeff and I are headed for Florida.  With 7 medical schools in Florida as opposed to the stingy 1 in Utah, if I don't get accepted I can reapply as a Florida resident and increase my chances of getting in. But guess when those applications start?  Well, technically I could be filling them out now, but I can't officially apply till June.  Yup, in less than 4 weeks I can start the whole process over again and reapply.  Exciting, right? haha.

Life is good, though.  And I wouldn't change anything about the past 5 years.  I remember filling out a bunch of senior exit surveys and one of the questions asked was "Would you still choose dance as a major if you could redo your BYU education?"  At the time as I filled out the survey, I wasn't too sure, but as I sat on the stage of the HFAC at graduation surrounded by peers and faculty who personally knew me and who i considered friends, I realized I wouldn't change it for a second.

But this post is quite long.  I think I'll wrap it up and save the rest for another post, hopefully it doesn't take me months to post again :)

Can't leave without some pictures thought, right?!




 Graduation.  So great to finally have that diploma :)


Slick rock trail in Moab.  This is where Jeff got the mountain biking bug.  Thanks mom and dad for a fun spring break!


 Oh ya, I tried out for SYTYCD.  Quite the experience.  Didn't make it to Vegas but had a blast and still got to perform a solo.  When it airs keep an eye out for yours truly ;)



When I interviewed at UCF my sister was in Orlando with her in-laws (congrats Jake and Arianne!!) and I got to spend some time with these munchkins.  


Remember when I signed up for beginning cello?  Glad I did that.  Even if I can only play children folk songs, it was still awesome :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though orlando, florida is still a 14 hour drive to arlinton, virginia...it's WAY better than the 34 hour drive from utah. :) love you!

Tessa Camille said...

CONGRATS katie bear!! I was so happy to run into you :) and hey, i am mad at sytycd, you are thee most phenomenal dancer in the world! and yipppeee for FLORIDA! you rock