Thursday, August 16, 2012

Transition Summer

Well folks, I'm not sure where to begin.  I'm 19 weeks pregnant, deferred medical school for this year, drove across the country to live in Florida, and cut off all my hair.

Haha, that last one was a joke - I still have my hair (but I did declare to Jeff last night that after the baby comes and I'm back to my normal size it's time for a change - I think I'm gonna chop it all off again).

But looking back, these past couple months have been some of the most exciting and unsure times of my life.  It was amazing that whatever Jeff and I planned seemed to change overnight. One morning we were in the bank trying to qualify for a home loan in Orlando while I went to school, and by that afternoon we had decided to defer med school for a year and move in with Jeff's parents till he found a job.  Even when starting this post - thinking everything was finally squared away - Jeff got a call from a nearby school in desperate need of a Spanish teacher and we changed our minds from living alone to moving in indefinitely with his parents. (Ya, Jeff got hired yesterday and their school starts on Monday...they were pretty desperate).

The original plan was to move to Orlando and I was going to start med school at UCF.  But when I called the school and asked about my options having a baby during the middle of the school year, (surprise!! I'm pregnant!) UCF just told me to defer a year and not worry about it.  They were super supportive and even reassured me by saying, "Don't even worry about starting school a year later.  At your age, a year is nothing."  I can't even begin to describe how grateful I am for UCF's support.  And in addition to not stressing about having a baby in school, I'll qualify for in state tuition when I start next August, which saves us a whole bunch of money and stress.

But since I got that acceptance call from UCF back in May, things have been up in the air ever since.  In the past 7 weeks I have slept in 14 different beds (including two waterbeds, two blow up mattresses, seven different hotel beds, two different beds at my parents, and a suspiciously small "queen" that Jeff and I shared).  Additionally, in those same 7 weeks, 28 days of them I spent away from Jeff.  Oh ya, and I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant.

Needless to say, while I wasn't planning on living with in-laws for the next year, I'm just glad I get to sleep in my own bed again with my pillow, sheets, and husband, and that Jeff has a secure job for this year.  Things have a funny way of working out.   Even though this past few months have been a little crazy, I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm so excited for baby peacock to make his/her debut in January (we find out the sex next week!!) and to start school next year.  And let's be honest, I was definitely over Provo :)

Really, there's only one thing left to figure out - what the heck I'm going to do till baby gets here in January.  Any ideas?!

6 comments:

Janae said...

Get a library card! haha I love reading now that I'm not required and it's not a textbook! What part of Florida are you in?

Heather said...

That is so great Jeff got that job offer from the school! (I'm assuming he took it?) And that means health insurance in-state for you right? ;) Love you Katie--and love all the changes your life has had this year. What excitement.

Laura said...

Sounds like a fun summer to me! We are coming to visit....maybe in a year. Or something like that. Can't wait to find out if this little one is a boy or girl! :)

Nate and Keshia said...

Oh my word, congratulations! I'm so happy and excited for you. You are going to have the most darling little baby. I can't wait to hear what it is! I love both. :)

Anonymous said...

come visit me in D.C.!! :) So excited for you guys!! yaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!

Tia Zwick Field said...

Waterbeds? ha ha I've never slept on one in my life and you've slept on two these last few weeks? ha ha, you really were everywhere! I miss you already. I totally support the short hair change once baby comes. It looked so dang cute when you chopped it last. And things to do...once you know the sex you can start thinking about his or her bedding and shopping for it or sewing it! Making fabric ties to sew onto onesies (if boy) or ruffles and bows to sew on onesies (if girl). My sister just went to hobby lobby and got little embellishments to add to plain white onesies for her newborn and they turned out so cute! I'll be thinking about you Wednesday!